Step2 Naturally Playful Picnic Table with Umbrella

Step2 Naturally Playful Picnic Table with Umbrella





Thursday, December 29, 2011

Wine Food Pairing - An Unplanned Backyard Picnic!

Wine Food Pairing - An Unplanned Backyard Picnic!


I always say that Wine Food PAiring is and adventure and a challenge....well this narrative is an exquisite example!

Last weekend we had a friend from Salzburg staying with us in Vienna. A delightful, eccentric man that my husband has known for several years. We spent the day at a health fAir and were Tired and hungry by the time we got home. I had purchased some amazing Chantrelle mushrooms at a shop that had been gathered fresh from the local area that morning. I knew about a customary Austrian dish prepared with these delightful fungi and eggs, but I wasn't quite sure about all the ingredients.

Our friend, Gernot, assured us that he would get ready the evening meal as this was his favorite dish and a specialty of his....what could be better? I love it when someone cooks for me!

I opened a French red wine that my husband purchased the day before....a terrifying tasting wine that would pAir perfectly with the "meaty" mushrooms. I got the ingredients out of the pantry for Gernot and I started putting together the mixed green salad....working in different parts of the kitchen I wasn't certainly watching him, but I felt sure that if he needed assistance he would just ask. Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What, you ask, could happen with a few eggs and mushrooms? Bread in the Microwave, that's what! Apparently, Gernot was not customary with a microwave oven.....we don't certainly use our microwave much and we have located it in the pantry behind a accomplished door so I didn't even see him go in there. Well, as the story goes, Gernot said that he just wanted to warm up the crusty bread a bit so he set the microwave on high for 5 minutes.....Yikes.....you can imagine, 3 pieces of bread being "nuked" like that. I smelled the smoke first, then looked colse to and saw the smoke rolling out from under the pantry door. Holy Cow! I yanked open the microwave door and extinguished the blackened bread and all the while my husband is chance all the windows to let the clouds of smoke roll out....what a mess!!!!! everybody was coughing and tears were running from our eyes!

Needless to say, we couldn't sit in the house to eat....in fact the smoke smell is still in the house 4 days later! I gathered up the plates, glasses and of procedure the wine which was certainly needed now and went out to the backyard table. I lighted a candle, Gernot brought the pan of eggs and mushrooms and my husband brought the remaining cold bread and a second bottle of wine!

Wine Food Pairing and an unplanned picnic! The egg and mushroom aggregate was terrifying and the French red paired beautifully. It was a bit cold out...in the 40's, but the sky was clear and the stars twinkling brightly....always an adventure and sometimes a challenge! Cheers!




Golden Berries Health Benefits City of Fallen Angels Infrared Electric Grill

No comments:

Post a Comment